What is Pet Enrichment?
Enrichment means keeping your pet’s mind active and engaging all of their senses in exploring their environment. This includes scent games, food puzzles, and other challenges that can keep pets curious and active.
Why is Pet Enrichment Important?
Just like people, pets can become bored or anxious when they aren’t mentally stimulated in their environment. Enrichment activities help to promote healthy minds and bodies!
Enrichment Ideas for Cats
• Fun Boxes: Fill a cardboard box or paper bag with crinkled paper. Then, hide treats or pieces of food and catnip in the box for your cat to dig through.
• Slow Feeders and Food Puzzles: mix it up and feed your cat out of different food puzzles and slow feeders.
• Give your cat paper bags, boxes, and tunnels to explore.
• Make sure your kitty has a spot near a window to sit and watch the birds!
• A pet water fountain can add interest to your cat’s environment.
• Teach your cat to give you high fives with treats and a clicker using this guide from the Cat Pawsitive program!
• Provide a variety of vertical spaces for cats to climb and sit at different levels around your home.
Be sure to check out Enrichment for Dogs