Employment and Internship Opportunities
Paws4ever is an equal opportunity employer. Paws4ever offers equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. These opportunities include all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job placement, training, compensation, discipline, advancement, and termination. This policy also applies to outside vendors, members and customers, volunteers, use of contractors and consultants, and interactions with the general public.
Dog Training Instructor
Applications accepted until position is filled.
Part Time (flexible 2-20 hours per week). Can be combined with Animal Behavior Coordinator role for full time position (see Animal Behavior Coordinator listing for details).
Paws4ever, an animal welfare nonprofit in Mebane, North Carolina, seeks a skilled and personable dog trainer to serve as a Dog Training Instructor. Paws4ever is dedicated to creating and growing lifetime relationships between pets and people through adoption, training, education, and care. As one of our core programs, the Dog Training Program offers a wide array of reward-based training opportunities to our community.
The Dog Training Instructor is responsible for providing training services in the form of group dog training classes, private lessons, and one-on-one coaching as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
Qualifications include a high school diploma (or equivalent). CPDT-KA or KPA-CTP designation is preferred, or currently pursuing education specific to dog training through an equivalent accredited certification program. If not currently pursuing dog training education, must be willing to do so.
Candidate must have a minimum of one years’ experience in dog behavior, health, handling, training, and care, with a minimum of one year experience coaching dog owners in both group classes and private lessons, either professionally or as a skilled volunteer. Candidate will be asked to demonstrate training techniques and knowledge of animal behavior and the practical application of science-based training techniques, including working knowledge of operant conditioning and positive reinforcement. Candidate should have experience addressing both basic and moderate obedience and behavior problems, skill interpreting canine body language, and experience with basic canine behavior. The ideal candidate will have strong customer service skills and a passion for and understanding of the Paws4ever mission to create and grow lifetime relationships between pets and people through adoption, training, education and care.
The Dog Training Instructor position is flexible part time (2-20 hours per week), with either a weeknight evening or a week-end daytime required. The Dog Training Instructor reports to the Dog Training Program Manager, and ultimately to the Executive Director. The hourly range for this position is $12-$15/hour, paid bi-weekly. All employees are eligible for paid time off.
Working Conditions: Work may be performed in our Learning Center, outdoors, or in a kennel/shelter setting. Exposure to disinfectant solutions and zoonotic diseases possible. Subject to animal bites and scratches while handling or working around animals.
Applications accepted until position is filled. To apply, submit both resume and cover letter to email@example.com and specify “Dog Training Instructor” in the subject line.
Animal Behavior Coordinator
Applications accepted until position is filled.
Do you love animals & people? Join the team at Paws4ever and find an engaging and fun work environment with great opportunities for growth and skill-building in the animal care field. Paws4ever is an animal welfare nonprofit in Mebane, NC, dedicated to creating and growing lifetime relationships between pets and people through adoption, training, education, and care. We are seeking a dedicated, organized, and compassionate individual to serve as Animal Behavior Coordinator in our Adoption Center.
The Animal Behavior Coordinator is responsible for the behavioral health of the animals at the Paws4ever Adoption Center and conducts behavior evaluations, enrichment programs, behavior modification, adoption and foster support, and staff and volunteer training. This dynamic position includes administrative duties, staff and client education, dog/cat behavior evaluation and handling, programmatic development and effective interaction with staff, volunteers and clients.
The Coordinator is expected to be a positive representative of Paws4ever and create strong, professional relationships within the organization and with external stakeholders. S/he will treat the guests, staff and animals of Paws4ever with respect and maintain a high standard of professionalism as established by the organization.
This position works closely with the Adoption Center Manager to establish goals aligned with the Paws4ever mission to develop lifetime relationships between pets and people through adoption, training, education and care.
This is a part-time position (~20 hours per week), but can be combined with a Dog Training Instructor position to become full-time for the right candidate.
Primary duties include:
- Shelter Animal Behavior Management – Evaluate and support the behavior and training needs for animals in the shelter while they wait for their forever home! Oversee all aspects of animal behavior management, including development and implementation of proactive kennel management protocols, evaluation and management of animals displaying behavior concerns, and training and support for staff, volunteers, and clients on training and behavior modification.
- Behavior Management Administration – Maintain accurate and timely documentation of behavior notes and plans through behavior tracking database. Train staff and volunteers on usage of database.
- Guest Services & Community Relationships – Provide excellent customer service to all guests, including clients and volunteers. Represent and promote Paws4ever to the local community through public speaking, written materials, and prompt and courteous handling of phone calls, emails, and other correspondence.
- Leadership – Support Adoption Center Manager in efforts to develop, review, and update protocols and curriculum. Stay abreast of current trends and research in the fields of Animal Behavior and Dog Training.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Work experience conducive with supporting the responsibilities of this position including work with animals in a shelter environment
- Self-starter, initiating activities within the framework developed with minimal supervision
- Proven experience working with the public, developing and maintaining relationships to support goals/mission
- Minimum one year experience in shelter dog behavior, health, handling, training, and care.
- Experience preferred in coaching dog owners in both group classes and private lessons, either professionally or as a skilled volunteer.
- Demonstrated training experience and knowledge in animal behavior and the practical application of science-based training techniques including operant conditioning, specifically positive reinforcement. Experience addressing puppy obedience, family dog obedience, and minor behavior problems (jumping, house-soiling, mouthiness, etc.), as well as experience recognizing and referring more serious dog behavioral issues such as extreme fear, aggression towards other dogs, resource guarding, etc. Working knowledge of various dog equipment such as harnesses.
- Skill observing, interpreting, and appropriately responding to canine body language. Experience with basic functional canine behavior assessments. Excellent animal handling skills.
- CPDT-KA or KPA-CTP, or approved equivalent (preferred), or currently pursuing education specific to dog training instruction through an equivalent accredited certification program; if not currently pursuing dog training education, must be willing to do so.
- Must have affection for animals, concern for their welfare and a willingness to accommodate animals in the work place. Must be able to handle the physical and emotional aspect of work in an animal shelter environment, including euthanasia.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills and the ability to interact professionally and effectively with others, both verbally and through written correspondence
- Must have strong prioritization and organizational skills
- Must have strong data entry skills and the ability to maintain accurate records
- Must show patient and tact when working with difficult, emotional or angry people
- Must adhere to Paws4ever’s policies and philosophies
- Knowledge of basic veterinary medical concepts preferred
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelors degree with specialized education in animal behavior or related field preferred.
- Ability to:
- Lift and/or move up to 50 pounds unassisted
- Frequently bend, squat, reach and grip
- Work around pet dander, dust and other allergens without issue
- Actively maneuver inside and outside of the facility
- Work around members of the public of all ages
The Animal Behavior Coordinator should also demonstrate the Paws4ever values:
- Compassion: Each one of us is here because we care deeply about the well-being of the animals and people in our community.
- Commitment: Our dedication to animal welfare drives us to approach our work with professionalism and to actively pursue excellence in our service.
- Connection: Relationship-building is the core of our work. We cultivate lifetime connections, not one-time transactions, with our animals, our clients, and our community.
- Curiosity: Every day, we are eager to learn new skills and discover better ways to support pets and people. Our impact grows as we improve through learning.
The Animal Behavior Coordinator is expected to work approximately 20 hours per week. This job may become full-time if combined with a Dog Training Instructor position. Some weekends and evenings may be required. The Animal Behavior Coordinator reports to the Adoption Center Manager, and ultimately to the Executive Director. This position starts at $15/hour, paid bi-weekly. All employees are eligible for paid time off.
Working Conditions: Work may be performed in a kennel/shelter setting or outdoors. Kennel setting is indoors in a high noise, climate-controlled facility. Regular exposure to animals, cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, and animal feces. Zoonotic diseases possible. Subject to animal bites and scratches while handling or working around animals.
Applications accepted until position is filled. To apply, submit both resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify “Animal Behavior Coordinator” in the subject line.
Applications accepted until position is filled.
Do you love animals & people? Join the team at Paws4ever and find an engaging and fun work environment with great opportunities for growth and skill-building in the animal care field. Paws4ever is an animal adoption center, dog training facility and Legacy Care Residence in Mebane, North Carolina, and we are seeking a dedicated, organized, and compassionate individual to serve as Adoptions Coordinator. We partner primarily with county shelters to rescue and care for animals in need. We offer training, socialization, and enrichment for our animals, and ultimately we work to match each pet with his/her forever family.
This position is full-time. Primary duties include:
- Animal Adoptions & Promotion – Help animals find their forever home! Manage the adoption process from inquiry, to initial meeting, to adoption counseling, and through follow-up; help train/support animal care staff and volunteers to assist with the adoption process. Assist communications team with animal promotion by documenting adoptions through photography and writing.
- Guest Services & Community Relationships – Provide helpful and pleasant customer service. Greet all guests and provide tailored customer service based on the reason for their visit; ensure all visitors, including volunteers, follow proper safety policies and procedures; answer the phone and respond to email inquiries. Establish and maintain a strong, professional relationship with our adopters, rescue partners, veterinarians, volunteers, and donors.
- Animal Intake – Assist in the intake procedures of animals from county shelters, partner rescues or community members (in consultation with the Intake Coordinator and Adoption Center Manager). This may animal assessment, animal transport, and completion of administrative intake procedures.
- Direct Animal Care – Provide quality care for the animals in the Paws4ever Adoption Center and in foster care, including proper nutrition, medication, exercise, and attention.
- Administration & Special Projects/Events – Create and manage animal records in paper and electronic format, utilizing organization database; process adoptions accurately and in a timely manner; process payments and donations accurately; oversee general appearance of Adoption Center
Qualifications include High School diploma and 1 to 2 years of experience in vet, shelter, or other animal care field or similar field or equivalent combination of education and experience. Evenings and weekends required. The successful candidate will have strong direct animal care experience, including a working knowledge of medications, vaccinations, animal behavior, socialization and dog training, as well as an interest in working with people to support animal adoptions. The successful candidate should have professional maturity, adaptability, and ability to build relationships with colleagues and the community in a way that is consistent with Paws4ever values (Compassion, Commitment, Connection, and Curiosity). Must have knowledge of and ability to work with all breeds and sizes of dogs and cats. Must have reliable transportation and a valid NC driver’s license. Must have sound written and interpersonal communication skills, be attentive to details and self-motivated. Must be familiar with Microsoft Office Suite and have the ability to learn and utilize new technologies. Must be able to prepare and maintain accurate administrative records. Customer service experience, experience working with volunteers and database systems, and graphic design skills are a plus. Must be able to move/lift 50 lbs., bend frequently, and stand throughout the workday. The starting salary for this position is $12/hour.
Working Conditions: Work is performed in a kennel/shelter setting. Exposure to disinfectant solutions and zoonotic diseases possible. Subject to animal bites and scratches while handling or working around animals.
Applications accepted until position is filled. To apply, submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com and specify “Adoptions Coordinator” in the subject line.
Nonprofit Management Internships
Paws4ever, a unique animal services agency in Mebane, seeks a creative, dedicated and detail-oriented student specifically interested in the nonprofit field for an internship. We currently have particular needs in the areas of volunteer management, fundraising/event planning, and communication.
The details of a particular internship will be developed according to the current needs of the organization and the interests of the student.
Examples of potential projects include:
- Helping to organize a fundraising event
- Creating marketing plans
- Curating a digital resource library
- Storytelling through photos and videos
The candidate must be able to meet strict deadlines and work independently. The intern is expected to work at least 10 hours a week, and may work up to 40 hours a week if interested. Hours are flexible. It is preferable for the intern to work on-site at Paws4ever, although some work may be accomplished at home. Occasional evenings and weekends may be required. This position is unpaid, but may be used for course credit (if applicable).
This position will serve as an excellent foundation for most careers in nonprofit management. The position will offer the student the opportunity to grow his/her interpersonal communications, public relations and organizational operations experience.
Preference will be given to candidates with strong organizational and communication skills. A background in development, graphic design, or event planning is a plus.
To apply for this position, please submit cover letter and resume to Kathryn Ruggeri at firstname.lastname@example.org