Our Responsibility to the Community During an Outbreak
A note from Executive Director Kathryn Ruggeri
With the outbreak of the novel Coronavirus known as COVID-19, these are uncertain times, and we know that everyone is anxious. It is more important than ever that we stay informed, work together, and each do our part to slow the spread of illness.
Paws4ever is rooted in our community, and we will stay true to our values of COMPASSION, COMMITMENT, CONNECTION, and CURIOSITY as we respond to the current situation. We are thinking of the more vulnerable members of our community, as well as the impact that rapid virus spread could have on the healthcare system. We consider our place in the community with every decision. We will continue to stay informed and adaptable in this unfamiliar circumstance. And as always, we are committed to providing quality care for our animals no matter what.
Out of an abundance of caution, and to protect our community, we are implementing the following adjustments to our operations:
- Visits to the Paws4ever Adoption Center will be made by appointment only. If you would like to meet an adoptable pet, please contact us at 919.241.8438 ext. 103 or email email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
- We are managing our intake of animals to ensure that we can provide quality care, even if we were to have multiple staff members home sick.
- All dog training classes and lessons are postponed until further notice.
- We are asking volunteers to schedule their shifts in advance, and we are limiting the number of volunteers that can come in at a time.
- The Paws4ever ReSale Store is currently scheduled to remain open during usual hours (10 am – 6 pm, Thurs – Sat), but we will continue to monitor the situation and respond to health agencies’ recommendations. If we decide to temporarily close the store, we will share the news on our ReSale Store Facebook page.
- While the Adoption Center is stringently cleaned on a typical day, we are implementing additional cleaning protocols to protect our staff, volunteers, and visitors.
- All non-essential meetings will be postponed or held remotely, and administrative staff will telecommute to limit the number of people at Paws4ever at a time.
We will continue to provide the highest level of care for our animals. The work that we do to care for animals never stops – there are no “off” days. Additionally, we are exploring new ways to provide more community education and support through online and remote methods. Follow Paws4ever on Facebook to stay connected.
Unfortunately, the measures that we are taking will have an impact on our finances. We expect to lose revenue while dog training classes are postponed and Adoption Center visits are restricted. Our expenses, however, stay constant.
Every pet’s bowl still needs to be filled, veterinary care is still a priority, and the lights must stay on.
We always rely on the generosity of our community, and your support right now means more than ever. If you are able, please consider making a gift to help us continue providing top quality care for pets in need.
Thank you for being a part of the Paws4ever community and for understanding and adapting with us during this time. We are stronger together (even if we aren’t in the same room).
Kathryn Ruggeri, Executive Director